Click here for a downloadable PDF.
Ideas families can use to strengthen the connection
Get to Know the Classroom
- Attend Back-to-School Night and teacher conferences.
- Visit the school and its website.
- Learn about the teacher’s expectations.
- Find out how best to contact the teacher.
- Let your school know if you have concerns.
- Don’t share any frustrations you may have about school in front of children.
Participate in School Activities
- Be a classroom helper or homeroom parent.
- Organize and/or work at fundraising activities and other special events, like bake sales, car washes, and book fairs.
- Chaperone field trips.
- Plan class parties.
- Attend sporting events.
- Join the school’s parent-teacher group.
- Work as a library assistant reading a story to the class.
- Give a talk for career day.
- Attend school concerts or plays.
Make Time at Home to Talk About Learning
- Encourage reading.
- Talk about school.
- Model being a lifelong learner. Let your child see you reading, writing, and using technology.
- Reinforce learning at home and show your child the skills they’re learning are applicable to everyday life.
- Teach them that learning is their job.
- Encourage your child to share what they notice or wonder.
- Ask questions about what they are reading.
- Make sure all work is completed.